Sunday, August 29, 2021

   If you ever wondered what a Fogal looked like with a 42 pound salmon , here's your answer. Kevin sent me a few better pictures and this is my choice for showing it off. Now it looks like a 40+. 


    Now kids, don't try this at home. It can give you an overbite if you do it incorrectly. Luckily, John, here, knows what he's doing. I mean, if he's going fishing with Joe Winn he obviously knows where it's at. This is John's first limit of halibut all caught on the jig. Which jig? That I don't know, but I saw a small variety in Joe's boat. Classic bucktail jigs (Hair Raisers), swimbaits, Pitbull Killer Jigs, tubes, even P-Line Laser Minnows all work. Should you go all-in on jigs and forego bait? Probably not, but jigging kills time while you're waiting for a bait bite and sometimes, the only bites come on the jig. Plus, if you catch a halibut on a jig you will annoy all of your buddies with stories about the jig bite. Probably, John will be insufferable for the next week. Cool. He earned it. 


     Rumors of the mooching bite being effective are, apparently, true. "26lb and 19lb mooching the Trees Sat. Mooching was 8 to 1 on trolling" If you have a relatively small area of fish, drifting slowly through it would surely be better than trolling past. Offering these well-fed, sluggish hogs an after-dinner mint  looks like a winning proposition.

 

    Today was a short day for Joe Winn and his crew but a 17 pound halibut a nice future batch of fish tacos made the short day worthy.

   Ron Johnson has ahold of fish number three, a 22 pounder, against medical advice. Ron's back is what doctors describe as "messed up", but when he heard that the fish were biting he had to come out. I'm pretty sure I don't condone it, but I guarantee that I understand it. 

3 comments:

Fish Lips said...

What a weekend! And, what a difference a day, or two makes. Nothing a few days ago except weeds and jelly fish / then shifting gears and packing in a few rock fish... thank god, like you said.
I noticed something on that pic of the 3 halibut that I hadn't noticed before... I assumed that all halibut were the same but I noticed the one in the middle / his mouth and eyes are opposite the other two. Never noticed that before. Different species? Male vs Female? My wife and I have that same attribute ;)

Unknown said...

Now I'm tripped out by those halibut!!you made me look..then I zoomed it in...and started thinking if they swam together in the same school they would crash into each other...LOL

Willy Vogler said...

Okay, this is bizarre, in my opinion. So, Pacific halibut are righteyed, as, if you place them dark-side-up with their stomach side towards you, their eyes will be on the right. Righteyed. When they are hatched their eyes are on either side, like a normal fish, but the left eye will migrate over the skull to join the right as they develop. The bizarre thing is that California halibut do the same thing but go either way, 50:50. I get being programmed to have one particular eye move, but to have the eyes choose? "After you." "No, you go first." California halibut are lumped in with the lefteyed flounders but can go either way. How very California of them.