Tuesday, August 10, 2021


     The first boat back today was Eddie Kim and Doug Bagley with their limits. All four fish on straight anchovies near the bottom between Bird and Tomales Point in 60ish feet. There were a lot of boats fishing in that area today and the vast majority did not do as well. Doug thinks that it is his luck that makes the salmon bite but I think there may be a little Kim magic involved as well. The largest of their fish weighed 26 pounds. We didn't weigh the smallest.
      Second boat to return was the Shrimp Boat. Ethan Brook's larger fish weighed in at 25.5 pounds. They were fishing close enough to Eddie Kim to photograph him fighting fish. 

     Ralph Ham caught this 20 pound salmon out in the fleet of boats that ran from Bird to well North of the Tomales Buoy (02). There were acres of boiling anchovies out there, many of which found their way into Tomales Bay. This could lead to some good halibut fishing if the halibut decided to follow them in, but at this point of my failed predictions this year, I'll just guess that probably nothing will come of it. Best case, it'll be easier to catch your live bait. 
     It's not that there's no halibut, there's just not that many. "Hi Willy,
Your blue lawsons landing “bite me” hooded sweatshirt was my lucky charm today, as well as the 10” live jacksmelt.
Later,
Andrew Forchini" I wondered where my sweatshirt went. No wonder I can't catch. I'll bet the smelt and Andrew had more to do with catching the halibut than the sweatshirt did. 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

My dad and friend caught an 8, 18 and 25lb off bird and McClures in 60ft of water and on the bottom. They lost a big one LDR. Hoochie with anchovy behind a dodger. Calm conditions today