Tuesday, August 17, 2021

 

       There's nothing like a good Northwest wind to limit the catch. These are the only game fish we've seen here for two days. "Tanner and Ken Young from Lockford CA with 2 nice fish at hog back drifting with bullheads" No fish for these guys yesterday with a fast drift and dead bait. Today, after a talk with Gage, they fished live bait and ran the engine in and out of gear to slow the boat, and look what happened. Nice work, gents. 
       Here's a report with a message: "Willy,

Wasn’t sure how to contact you. I read the fishing report often and I thought maybe some of the readers (any divers out there?) might want to know of a close encounter with a large GWS on the bar today. I was diving in about 15ft of water inside the bar and had a 15ft female come in a little to close for comfort (6ft away) and give me the stink eye. She did a slow cruise in front of me and as she disappeared into the vis started to turn a little bit back towards me. Yelled to my dive partner, we both jumped back in the boat, and decided to call it a day. It’s probably long gone by now, but for the divers that may read your blog I thought they might like to know. Anybody who dives out there knows they are around, and have probably been close to them before without knowing. But in poor visibility it’s the last thing I actually wanted to see coming towards me. Only way to get over it is to jump back in, so once the next good report comes in I’ll be back out there! Divers, be safe. Fisherman, stay in your boat. And Willy, keep up the great reports!
Cheers,

-Frequent Diver" When the mighty beast is close enough for you to tell it's a she, you're too close. The fact that you were calm enough to look for claspers makes you a cool-headed badass. I'm pretty sure my vision would have been obscured by the brown cloud I would automatically generate in that situation (it ain't ink) as well as tears of fear and a flop sweat of nervous perspiration. Glad you're okay and, other halibut divers, you knew that they were there, and now you know they are there. Also, did you notice that Frequent Diver didn't mention how many halibut he and his buddy had speared? Fishermen have been catching a few there, but I'm thinking that spearing halibut may be more complicated for a bit when you keep jerking your head up to look at shadows of kelp, or baitfish, or nothing at all because the bogeyman is in your head. It's hard to be the lion and the gazelle.

4 comments:

rokefin said...

That GWS report will keep me from ever thinking about diving.....never have wanted to and never will. Sharks don't bark and they have a HUGE bite!!!

Willy's journalism explained the effects of a shark sighting all too well.

Onemore said...

Any salmon caught today?

ecvfish said...

So much for wanting to try out my new kayak. Looks like I'm sticking with the Boulton!

Unknown said...

I bet that's what bit our fish!