Monday, May 11, 2020

Stuff happened this weekend but I'm only aware of a tiny bit of it. Most importantly, on Sunday a couple of salmon were caught in 250 feet of water off of Bird. The water is cold and clear and devoid of most life, but, there's a few salmon out there. Weight in the lowest double digits. The fish came shallow on the wire, 40ish feet. The two fish I heard of are a good sign but not indicative of a wide open bite. But hey, there's a few fish around. If this wind stays away for a week or more then booyah, fish in the Outer Bay. Get excited then. Don't worry, I'll let you know in a poorly worded, even more poorly spelled post.
    There are halibut in the bay, not big ones, but keepers are always welcome on my boat. The Gage and I gave it a shot on Sunday evening for three keepers (and one 22ish" fish returned) so there's a few fish out there. Heck, I even caught one. Gage was concerned as he had no recollection of one of my rods bouncing in that manner. Once I convinced him that I had a fish on his worry eased. Different colored hootchies caught them all. 

2 comments:

Tomales Outlaw said...

We were out Sunday. Did not try for salmon but did good on rockfish based on advice from Willy. We saw the salmon trollers. Went back into the bay caught some jacksmelt and tried a few drifts down by Marshall beach where the water was warmer for nada. Smelt are very very plentiful. And a new motor is very very sweet to have.

Outlaw

Capn Al said...

Yup, Willy is a great poster!