Tuesday, May 12, 2020


Picture or it didn't happen. Looks like it happened. Gentlemen (and other gentlepersons), it may be game on. Perhaps not full on, catching 'em on bare hooks game on, but game on nonetheless. Gage, who has a fantastic social media network (the boy must teach me) showed me some photos of big halibut and white seabass from San Francisco Bay in the last week. While we're pretty proud of our 22.5" to 26" hog halibut from Tomales Bay, we're also trying to figure out if out boat trailers are sufficient to the task of trailering down to Black Point. Pictures of 50#+ seabass will make you do that. At first I was happy to discover that Gage wasn't staring lustfully at hot naked women photos on his phone. Now I realize it was much worse. Big fish seem more attainable but the fact is they often cost as much time and money as women. So do boats (that's why they're named for women. Ignore your boat or your woman and see what happens)(Tip: It ain't good and will likely cost you money).
When we will Lawson's Landing be open for launching, camping, etc? That's a damned good question. As I understand it, our county is gathering together a number of groups of people representing different industries in order to build industry-specific committees to develop plans for safely re-opening the county. If that sounds like the county is trying to delay the opening by throwing the choices to a committee (the camel has been described as a horse built by committee) you probably aren't wrong. Marin County is pretty cool with the Coastal Commission giving them the right to restrict coastal access. You have a lot of Constitutional rights (which seem to be getting ignored for the greater good, probably) but coastal access ain't one of them. That's the Coastal Act in California, and the Coastal Commission are the keepers of the Act. I'm probably wrong, but it seems to me that the powers that be may need to be reminded that the physical and mental health of many Californians is dependent upon their access to the outdoors. Some of that important access is to the ocean. Don't do it for me. I've got some savings and sooner or later my unemployment will come through(probably). I've got coastal access, though. I think that it can be shared in a responsible way that limits any viral transmission ( at least no more than any Target, Walmart or grocery store). I'm kinda getting used to the day drinking and thumb warming I'm doing but I'm okay with going back to evening fishing trips and drinking after sundown if we can go back to some semblance of normal. I would do that for you (well, we'll have to see about the day drinking. Cheladas are pretty damn good.)

11 comments:

Seth said...

Willy
Love your reports and writing style. Been a fan for years and just wanted to give you props for taking the time to inform and educate us all. Hope you can open soon, although getting back to “normal” seems pretty abstract at this point.

Please keep up the great work as I know I’m speaking for many when I say I cant wait for your next report.

Best regards
Seth on the “Sea Esta”

Tracy said...

Great comment Unknown. I completely agree!

Willy said...

Appreciated. Don't worry, I am not going to check myself out (enter the self check line in the sky?). Just disgusted with what appears to be politics interfering with my ability to pay my bills. I'm neither Republican nor Democrat but I'm still trapped between the two. Sorry for the whining. I'll try to stick to fishing for your and my sakes

SPACE INVADER said...

Oh Silly Willy... it’s not politics, this was planted by the aliens ��. They are doing an experiment on us.
Newscum is their leader.

Tony said...

Sonoma County just opened up some 'more' parks. Even some to fishing. Looks like Lake Sonoma may open up later this week?

https://parks.sonomacounty.ca.gov/Visit/Covid-19-Parks-Status-List/

Tony

Tony said...

Here's a link for Marin County Parks status..

https://www.marincountyparks.org/parkspreserves/~/link.aspx?_id=5438B771C7304C4388DAA163151F0C99&_z=z

Tony

Deplorable1 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deplorable1 said...

Thank you for all the information Willie. You guys run a first-class operation. Everyone that I've met there are some of the nicest people that I have ever met very helpful been doing a lot of target shooting but it's getting old and I'm hitting all my marks. That Chrome salmon sure looked good. I'm waiting patiently for you to open up so I can drag my boat down there please keep us informed.

Tracy said...

Any word on if Nicks launch ramp is open again?

Capn Al said...

I'm going to try Lake Sonoma Sunday. It will be open.

Sucka-Fish said...

i was out there today. no cars in parking lot so must be closed. had a fun day. caught some big smelt. used those. got a double strike landed one 25" halibut. Later i throw a 2oz bucktail like 50 yards. reeling it kinda fast with twitches. hook up what i think is biggest hali of my life. i feel the mouth shakes so i thought. snagged a 4ft leopard in the tail. 1 keeper male dungy in one pot.