Friday, July 2, 2021

     Now, yesterday I didn't specifically say that the salmon fishing was wide open. I implied it strongly and quoted evidence to support the implication, but didn't specifically say it. Good thing, because today was a different day. Mostly, people caught a fish or better, but the guys that finished quick yesterday took significantly more time today. Most people said the kings were deeper and a couple said shallower. The silvers were high and low and CDFW was out checking boats and counting silvers. I didn't talk to anyone that had been ticketed, but the chances are good that soon the General Fund will get a boost. The hot spots were anywhere from just below Bodega Head to the Russian River area. I'm sure that the area inside the MPA was on fire for the couple of boats that foolishly gave it a try. My suggestion is not to try it. So the halibut stepped up to fill the gap, right? Not so much. One boat had three and everyone else I heard from had zero. So, it wasn't good unless you were on the right boat. 

     Sometimes, having an excessively positive self image can be bad. Tfish38 sent this picture: "
I guess there is some truth to...your bait can't be 'too big'..

The Halibut was hooked in the mouth..the hook fell out prior to the photo.." First off, Tfish38, how could anything I write not be 100% factual? (Don't actually answer that) Second, it's possible that your live bait was trying to eat the halibut and ended up snagging him instead. Finally, I think that if your rigging technique is so good as to make your bait look good and attainable for a halibut half the size of the bait, don't change anything. You figured it out.

   

2 comments:

Patrisage said...

Never seen so many silvers! Fished from 7:30-1 off Tomales Point and had to return 8 coho before I had my pair of kings.

Unknown said...

Tfish38 don't you call those type of fish hitchhiker? Lingcod1 😉