Saturday, July 24, 2021

      Karen Walker caught this 24 pound salmon today in 180 feet of water off of Tomales Point under a bunch of pelicans. Unfortunately, there were no encores (unless you count jellyfish; then there were a lot). The salmon bit an Apex, I think I was told Kevorkian colored. 

   Fish die when the Hawaiians show up. Kapulani took his his grandfather Rudy and another out for a salmon trip on his new (to him) Parker. They caught five salmon to 27 pounds and quit before they limited. If that was enough salmon for Rudy, they did well. 

      Dale Chaffin caught this 26 pounds (gutted and gilled) salmon today. I didn't get a precise location but it wasn't far away. This would be the largest fish weighed in today. Boats from here fished and caught salmon (or didn't) from above Bodega Head down to Elephant. A few did very well, a few more caught a fish or two, and a whole bunch caught nothing. Salmon bit hootchies, bait, and Apexes, or they didn't, depending on the boat. 

   This one bit a hootchie. It weighed 27 pounds and was my second bite after 8:00 pm. The first one didn't stick. This fish had very small milt sacks and an overstuffed stomach. His stomach held six squid (full-sized) and thirteen anchovies. I weigh 180 and I'm not sure that I could eat that much. I like squid and anchovies, so I'd give it a try. But more importantly, why would a fish whose stomach should be hurting bite a hootchie? Or anything? My guess is that a darting hootchie looks like something getting away and the fish bites out of instinct. It ain't for calories, although this guy reminded me of people I've been behind at the buffet. He was batting cleanup wherever he went. You magnificent, chubby bastard. 
    One boat had two halibut and a striper today, another had a keeper halibut and pretty much everybody else had nada. Thy halibut fishing is hard. Don't go if you have a thin skin, as chances are you're in for disappointment.

 

1 comment:

Numbnutz said...

Thanks for all your reports we much appreciate them .I think I'm going out to try my luck for salmon tomorrow.