Saturday, July 3, 2021

    I spoke with several people that fished for halibut today and everyone had sad stories of no fish. A couple of bites was as good as it got. Until Gage sent me this photo and text: "Nine halibut between marker 7 and Marshall everywhere in between live smelt" Well, I guess nobody else could get them because these guys were busy catching them all. So, while it is possible to catch your limits of halibut in Tomales Bay, it's also really unlikely. 
    Kind of a similar-ish story for the salmon, mainly in the different stories from different people fishing in nearly the same places. Some guys killed 'em, some got skunked and most guys caught a couple. The word must be that the bite is easy as there has been up to an anecdotally two-hour wait to launch at Westside park in Bodega Bay. "Hot spots" ranged from just above Point Reyes to the Russian River. I heard so many spots they all run together.  A common theme was bait and birds being helpful (who would have thought?). Spoons, bait and hootchies all caught fish.
   Here's one of those hootchie-caught fish. In another week it would have topped 30 pounds but these guys just couldn't wait. 29 pounds will do. I probably wouldn't have thrown it back, either.



 

6 comments:

rokefin said...

Spoons are getting a lot of mention……there used a lot up north.

Fish slayer said...

What a fish that is a nice salmon and a happy dad. Happy 4th everyone 🥳

Fish Lips said...

That is on helluva halibut picture! What I'd like to know is, what is that critter on the far right side of the picture?
Salmon fishing Saturday... 2 shakers and one 20", no silvers. Mostly off of Bodega head, 250-270', 100-120' on the wire. Saw a lot of people catching small fish.

Fish Lips said...

That's on helluva halibut picture! What I'd like to know is, what is that critter on the far right side of the picture?
Salmon fishing Saturday... 2 shakers and 1 20", no silvers. Mostly off of Bodega Head, north and south in 250-270', 100-120 OTW.

Kevin Marcheschi said...

I was there all day near hog. Very slow. I kicked down to near where red and White House is in marshal and finally caught some. On the way back near nicks cove I had a huge sturgeon jump out of the water and nearly land on my bow. I had never heard of sturgeon in tomales.

Willy said...

They also caught a seven gill shark.