Friday, July 31, 2020

   It was a bit breezy today. Then it got downright windy. There were a some fish caught today, both salmon and halibut, but I didn't hear of limits, just the beatings from coming home against it. Luckily, people were kind enough to send in pictures of their limits from yesterday, a day in which I was lucky enough to scratch up one.
The first report I received was from Spaced Invader :"Got these yesterday at the slide .
65 feet of water down on the bottom 
Hoochie and flasher.... 
jigged up dozen chovys from all the bait on the surface and ran into the bay for 2 halibuts just north of hog... 
also had the enjoyment of getting a decent mud marlin to tow me around for 30 minutes or so." I'm unfamiliar with the decent mud marlin but I'm almost tempted to have you introduce me. Almost. I'll probably get the chance to make my own introduction. 
   Here's another guy that limited yesterday :"Hey Willy,
My son popped his cherry today. He landed two and lost a bigger one at the boat. Not a bad first outing for him in the ocean. I was a very proud dad. Caught these kings further north of Tomales.
AF FISH" Those fish may not have been caught here but we all like pictures of kids with fish.

Here's the finale :"Had my daughter along for good luck Thursday and it paid off.  Full day trolling Tomales Point to Kehoe and back yielded our family record, a 71 pound four-fish limit.  All on WMA (though we fished bait as well), all near the bottom in 60-80 feet.
There may be something yummier out there than smoked salmon bellies, but I don’t know what it is.
-Lorca Rossman" I'll throw in salmon collars as something as yummy. 71 pounds on a watermelon Apex seems like a lot. Better check that leader twice before it goes back in the brine.  

2 comments:

Patrisage said...

Yep! We smoke the collars as well. YUM!

Alastair Bland said...

Salmon bellies are my favorite food. Speaking of which, I was launching a kayak at Miller a couple of weeks ago and found the remnants of several filleted salmon in the shallows. The carcasses had a half inch of meat on them. The collars were left on the frames. The skin was (sloppily) sliced off the fillets. And the strips of belly meat were cut off the fillets and dumped as well. What a waste.