Friday, July 24, 2020

    The wind kept most boats off the water today and of the few that went out I only got halibut reports. Those reports weren't good. Best results on the halibut front that I heard about was two fish. Those two fish came from three hard-earned jacksmelt. The next best report was one halibut and after that a couple of naughts. There was one gentleman that stopped in on his way back to Miller with a tale of nine-foot waves and four limits of salmon off of Tomales Point in 60 feet of water. All fish in the teens to the mid-twenties. It appears that while the wind knocked a couple degrees off of the water temperature it may not have knocked out the salmon bite. Just as well, as the Outer Bay was starting a good impression of a red tide. The good weather forecast for this week, if it comes true, will likely also predict a serious further darkening of the waters. Hopefully the Goldilocks abalone don't take another hit from it, but I need poor lighting for my terminal tackle to seem appealing to discriminating fishies, so I'm kind of okay with it. I heard a few albacore were caught out of Fort Bragg (that's still the name, right?) last Sunday, so maybe in a another month down here. Bayside Marine in Santa Cruz reports bluefin sightings there, so who knows?

3 comments:

Alex Eaton said...

I got a friend who will be going out of Eureka for Albacore...I’ll keep you guys posted how it goes. Hopefully show up down here too!!

Tomales Outlaw said...

Bluefin are being caught 15 miles out of Monterey. I hope the weather and the fish cooperate out of Lawsons next week. We will be hitting it hard.

Outlaw

JRS said...

Extend-a-boat was back, and all about it. No pic’s because his 18 best friends piling into the 6 foot Big 5 rafts were really making me mad as they blocked the entire ramp...

The clams will go the way of the abalone; soon.