Tuesday, July 28, 2020


   After yesterday's slow day, and after somebody asked me why all of the people in the photos on here were holding fish, the editorial board and I decided to get some pictures of fishermen without fish and post them today. Sadly, it was not to be. That gag will have to wait. Eddie Kim returned to claim victory over all the creatures of the ocean and Doug. Well, maybe not Doug, but Eddie can put himself and Doug on the fish. The Trees was the location and 20, 24, 26 and 31 pounds were their weights. Not everybody clobbered them like this (not hardly) but it's nice to know it's possible for someone. Salmon were caught from Bird Rock down to Abbott's with the hot spot (as I was told) between Bird and McClure's, 60 to 90 feet of water. I didn't get any halibut reports from the bay today but there were a couple caught near Abbot's and on McClure's. I did see some damn nice rockfish from up above the Russian River, including an 11 pound vermilion. The state record is 14 pounds, 9 ounces, for the record, so damn nice fish, gentlemen.
   Dave Duncan sent over a recap of his fishing experience on the roughest day of last week:"Here is a photo of last Fridays 8 fish out side the 1st buoy. Done by 11:30. Tim Mortenson and two sons Daniel and Noah." Well done, everybody. Getting one in the boat during that slop would be victory enough but limits are way better.
   My editorial board also tells me I need to start a new blog for foolishly overloaded boats. I think there's still room here. Clearly, not in this boat, but on this page. This was sent over by the Coastodian:"Hi WIlly,

You can add this one to the pile if you like.

They all laughed when I suggested they need a bigger boat.

They stopped laughing when I explained that I am tired of my taxes going for rescues of people doing such things as this." At least a few of them have life jackets. It's important to float the bodies for recovery later. FYI, a person in the Fire Department recommended we tell people doing foolish things such as this to write their name on their arm with a Sharpie for easier corpse identification later. I have emptied some people out of overladen boats with that recommendation. Graphic and true. 
   I'm sure you've probably already seen it, but in case you haven't, this was sent to us:"I think I figured out the recent 'slow bite'. Both the halibut and salmon have realized they need to practice better social distancing! I found the attached photo on the 'Internet', not sure I believe it yet or not. A local Bass fisherman posted the photo.

anonymous " I think Gage caught one of those. At least he said he did. Fishermen.



3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sadly, Gage is probably right. Only he and Eddie Kim could still catch that bass.

Tomales Outlaw said...

We're on the way.

Outlaw