Sunday, July 12, 2020


 Frank green caught this twenty pound halibut today in the back bay. To me, catching a twenty pounder back there is like catching a forty pounder on the bar. Both things are possible, just very unlikely. I gotta say, after all this Covid crap, hearing Frankie laugh again made me illogically happy. You know how certain smells or sounds or places will trigger a happy memory? Boom. Thanks, Frank. And damn, nice fish. It might have outweighed the other eight fish in the boat, combined. To be fair to the other fishermen, there were some other guys that limited or nearly limited today. None of them triggered a memory like Frank, but most of them triggered a bit of jealousy on my part. Don't panic (Hitchhiker's Guide reference), fair readers, there were a few fish caught around Hog Island for those of you that can't branch out. For those with a bit of wanderlust, try further back. Or further forward. Clearly there's a of of smaller fish in the back. My sources tell me there's a few fish coming in to the bay chasing those 'chovies. Those fish tend to be larger. And oriented towards the mouth of the bay. I heard of a couple caught near Marker 5 today. That's a pretty good indicator of incoming critters. I didn't get the white spot report (white spots on halibut often indicate fish on the move).  or the record, Frank did not complain about getting bait, so it may be getting easier, at least for a master baiter. In the good sense.


Here's a couple of salmon victory pictures from team Mack. That bottom fish weighed in at 23 pounds. That's a keeper in my book. Even if Tim caught it. Actually, especially if Tim caught it. I can say mean things all I want, but these guys go out in some questionable water at times and catch fish. And then come back. All good, because we like them. Today the weather outside was bad, so any salmon was pretty notable. This week has a good forecast, and if it holds (unlikely, but a man can dream) the fishing should be spectacular by next weekend. I know, third week of July? What are the actual chances of that? Oh yeah.....
Late entry, but confirmation of white spots. If you zoom in you can see the spots on Vance's fish (on the right). It didn't have them when getting cleaned a bit later. Frankie (my personal halibut guru) says white spots mean the fish just entered the bay. I ain't arguing with the guy that caught more halibut than I've seen. I'm just writing stuff down. But it looks like they're coming in. Thanks for the pic, Vance. Nice grade of fish. I almost didn't need the background to determine your location. Almost.


4 comments:

BIG"D" said...

Some people learn. Some people take a little longer to learn. Some people never learn!

Harvest Time said...

I’d like to see the old pic of Mr. Green with his 40#er juxtaposed with this one of his 20#er (just wondering if it is the same Pendleton)

Nancy Vogler said...

Saying “Hey!” to Frank! Good to see your face!

Unknown said...

You go Boy!!! Frank is my neighbor and one of the nicest guys I have ever met. And no doubt about it one of the BEST fisherman out there! And I come from a family of fisherman on the East Coast, so that is saying a hell of a lot!!!