Saturday, August 1, 2020

Welcome to August. It seems windy here. Not windy enough to keep the hardcore off the water but hard enough that I was actually glad to be working. Until people started coming in with fish.
   These guys just roll in from Tahoe and put fish in the box. Jesse Keilman and crew limited on salmon today between Tomales Point and Bird Rock in 50 feet of water. The story is that they lost a dozen others to wild fish and wilder weather. Big fish weighed 24 and 26 pounds. 
   Dan  Stanfill caught this 26 pounder at Elephant today after a delayed start due to engine issues. It seems like it worked out okay. Not for the fish, for Dan. The fish had a bad day.
  Another day, another Eddy Kim photo. He earned it today, though. "Wind 💨 was blowing today but just wanted to get 1 more bite. 2 today with 26lbs biggest!" He was going to go for halibut but we told him, "You gotta at least look out there. It might be fishable." Now I heard a lot of words to describe the weather out there today and oddly, fishable was not one of them. "Nautical" and "sporty" came up, as did "really sloppy" and "it sucked." Terminology tended toward the negative more for boats with less fish. The range of the ones I heard about was one to six with two and three being the most common numbers. I only heard of a couple of halibut inside the bay from boat fishermen but there was at least one good one lost and one caught from shore today. The lost fish bit a squid but I didn't hear about the successful halibut's bait or lure of choice. 

Also, if you find yourself on the bay in the next couple of days you might keep an eye out for another missing boat. No picture to speak of, but I gathered it was an aluminum about 12 feet long with a 5hp gas engine. Incoming tide swept it from the clam island Saturday morning. That's all I know, I'm afraid. We've got the owner's info; if you see or find it give us a call at (707)-878-2443 or comment here.

9 comments:

Tomales Outlaw said...

Always always always THROW THE HOOK!!!!!


Outlaw

JRS said...

Did it have twin outboards and lots of “Alex Plus”?

Willy said...

It wasn't that deluxe

JRS said...

;)

Thumbs said...

I think I need some halibut

Sucka-Fish said...

looking at 24' aluminum boats and wondering if i can get some input. I want to troll with the kicker. How do you guys recommend controlling it, main steering wheel, 2nd steering wheel in "fishing area" or from the tiller? Thanks everyone

SPACE INVADER said...

Let’s go Thumbs...

Willy said...

I like trolling from the helm (the main steering) but I troll on the mains. If I may complicate things, you can get an autopilot that only steers the kicker. Wireless remote. Kinda cool.

Local legend said...

Kicker won't suffice on the ocean except the calmest of days.