Tuesday, June 1, 2021


   Here's a yesterday report I missed. I guess I should check the email before writing. Who knew? This is from Branden Mendoza: "Hey willy had a great trip for us today. Start fishing early this morning with no luck. But around 12 all changed. We loaded up on herring just south of hog island a little farther than the yellow buoy. Saw a halibut caught and a few stripers. We also saw a few stripers feeding on the surface. No luck with live herring. But decided to throw a rattle lure and landed my first striper ever in tomales also first ever on a lure. Overall a great day for us." I will second Branden's report with my own, less catchy report from this evening. There's quite a bit of herring in the bay in the holes off of Pelican Point. There's stripers feeding on the herring, as evidenced by rolling fish and exploding bait at the surface. I had one takedown on a livey that didn't stick. Water temps at Hog at high tide ran from 53º to almost 58º. All of the water was brown. It looked very fishy, even though the South wind for most of the day made the fishing way difficult for the middle of the day. My lack of fish in the evening was by me, not the wind.

     I received an email from Marin County Parks this afternoon: "Hi Willy,

We will be doing some maintenance on the dock at Miller Boat Launch ,target dates June 14-18. The dock will be inaccessible and boats will not be able to launch as we make repairs. Write me back or give a call with questions. Do you think a post on your blog would be helpful? Thanks, Jason These dates are before salmon season and peak halibut, at least. In other news, there were a lot of dead crab on the beaches across the bay (West side) over the weekend but it may be molted crab shells. Maybe? I heard a scary report of hundreds of dead crab on the beach and I'm hoping that someone familiar with shed shells saw something positive instead of impending doom. I hate doom.

   




 

4 comments:

rokefin said...

Nice job Branden on the rattle lure, that's how you seize the opportunity!!

By instruction from an opportunistic fisherman "Harvest Time" I threw a random minnow-jig in the water while waiting for our crew to re-rig for halibut - this resulted in a 45 lb white sea bass off the trees in 25 feet of water - bingo!

Kevin Marcheschi said...

We went out today with 2 others in our yaks. We caught limits of halibut with herring we caught. Fish were from 29”-35”. Fished just south of the islands. We all tossed small swimbaits as well but no takers.

Fish slayer said...

Nice work sounds like u guys found the hunny hole

Onemore said...

No BS Rokfin 45# WSB!
That’s awesome. Maybe all this wind blew some fish our way.