Tuesday, June 15, 2021


     This message is from Marin County Parks: "Hi Willy,
Miller boat launch repairs have been completed. Boat ramp is open.
" So the scratching for a few halibut and stripers is available to all, again. Water temps in the bay are up so, theoretically, things should be popping. Functionally, well.... I've heard more anchovy and sardine reports from the bay but the fish reports are kinda meh. Actually, "kinda meh" puts too strong a positive spin on it. I apologize. There's some fish in the bay but you gotta either be lucky or work really hard for them. Both together is best. I haven't seen a halibut come in here since Sunday, so I'm guessing nobody from here was lucky enough. 
   There was a commercial boat tacking around the bay this weekend, according to the Coastodian: "Hi Willy,

Any ideas what the big boat is up to?

A recreational halibut guy told me it was out all day Sunday, yet fishing. Saw it again today, no lines out I could see. No action or people on deck besides skipper." I saw the boat anchored across from the Landing on Saturday and leave the bay Monday afternoon. Perhaps he was trolling for halibut? Not visibly catching doesn't mean he wasn't trying (I look like that a lot). Possibly he was searching for herring? The herring I saw were perfect red and mostly green label sized, perfect for laying on a Styrofoam tray. I was thinking he might be looking for them for that purpose, but I could be projecting my desires, as my bait guy doesn't have any green or red label herring at this time, so neither does the bait shop. My fear is that the commercial boat was here because he heard that this was the best halibut bite going, and if this is the best, well, oy vey...

 

No comments: