Tuesday, September 1, 2020


     I received this picture and note from Ron Johnson this evening :"My Lucky Charm fished with me today." Now I've heard Terry Fogal called many things, but this has to be a first. It looks to be true, however, as these guys caught some damn nice fish, the largest three weighing 20, 23 and 24 pounds. The smallest doesn't look very small. Yesterday was a rough one for Mr. Johnson, both weather- and salmon-wise, but today was a little better on the weather and way better on the salmon. The two gentlemen fished a bit north of Abbott's in 70ish feet of water. 

   There was loads of bait at the Keyholes/Elephant and in the outer bay, plus quite a bit more scattered around Bird Rock and the Trees, just not too many salmon biting there today. Tomorrow? These fish have tails and they tend to use them. I haven't heard much on the halibut front, so my choice would be salmon tomorrow, with a good chance I'd stop short on feeding birds. At least for a few minutes. 

4 comments:

Tomales Outlaw said...

Friday will be the day. Well, the day I'll be fishing anyways. We are still getting used to this trolling thing. Not sold on it yet, but not quitting either. Yet. Last year at this time the mooch was really on a little south. We shall see.

Outlaw

Sucka-Fish said...

when you mooch can you use two hooks in CA? whats the rule, circle hooks and 2nd hook cant slide and must be within 5icnhes of each other? Never done mooching but want to try. thanks

rokefin said...

Yea never mooched myself.....have so much fun trolling that it is hard for me to think of sitting in one area. One mooched king would probably change my mind.

Cptnjeff said...

Fishing behind my back???