Friday, September 11, 2020

     So, it turns out that there were fish caught yesterday besides the ones in my boat. Who knew? Well, for one, Swampy:"Evening Willy, 

Nice job on the tuna today! Those were some serious hogs! Thanks for taking Eddy out, that left more Halibut for me. Today’s report is limits to 20. The lack of wind kind of hurt the drift but the halibut are there." Today was not as good for Swampy but he still had some fish in the box. For the record, Swampy catching fish is only indicative that there are fish there. It doesn't mean you or I will catch any.

     Another report from yesterday, courtesy of Peter Honebein: "Willy, Took the full 80-90’ tour yesterday from T Point to 10 mile. One scratched bait at trees, and another at 10 mile, where squid was still hanging out (no squid balls). After catching some rockfish, we then resumed north at elephant landing a 13lb salmon within a minute of setting first line. All hits/hookups were ~10-15 feet off bottom. Didn’t see any significant bait except for squid. Salmon had anchovies in belly. Nice albacore you got!

Pete"  So you don't have to go deep north of Bodega Head for salmon. It helps to, though. While I'd rather catch one like Pete, the guys filling the coolers have been working the deep from Carmet to the Russian River in 250 to 300 feet of water. Just put out all of your downrigger cable and hope for the best. Sorry, I just hate that deep water fishing, but it's probably because I have yet to do much deep water catching. 

   Here's a report I've been waiting for: "Hey Willy! Its been awhile. I hope all is well with you and the crew. Congrats on your big Tuna score yesterday! 

You told me my time would come, although I almost gave up after getting skunked for so long. 

I finally pulled one north of Dillon Beach on a kayak voyage with my girl Yesenia last weekend. Caught it on a little neck popper from the shore. It was pretty cool to see him jump up like a prehistoric serpent when he grabbed the hook.

I know its not the biggest, but it's my 1st, so I'm happy!" You should be happy. Dillon Beach is not the premiere location for successful striper fishing, so catching one is a major victory. Well done, Robbie. And on a popper, too. Extra well done. You'll be seeing that in your dreams for a while. 


No comments: