Tuesday, September 15, 2020

 

   These properly masked marauders caught their limits of salmon to 17 pounds today. Beth and Peter Honebein (guess who caught the 17 pounder? Yup, not Peter) worked out to 300 feet of water (FOW)  and down 170' on the wire (OTW) up north of Bodega Head. They used small anchovies (tiny, truly) for bait and had more hookups than misses, unlike their trip a few days back when the fish wouldn't stick. Was it the size of the bait? Only the fish know, but for sure the fish will bite small baits (check their stomach contents; all sizes welcome). I've caught salmon on three inch anchovies and I'm not that good a fisherman. I just didn't know that fish wouldn't bite baits that small, and luckily, neither did the fish.
  So yesterday the halibut bit really well. Ah, yesterday. Yesterday was so good that the Beatles wrote a song about it. Today? Today many of the halibut fishermen came in with limits......of rockfish. Well, you can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you might find,.... I gotta quit listening to the oldies station. Anyhow, the halibut didn't want to bite today for the guys that fished from here. There were a couple caught north of Hog but it was far from a good day. Maybe tomorrow?



2 comments:

rokefin said...

Always a good write up Willy - oldies are always joyful to the soul.

I'm glad somebody is chasing salmon, good for Peter and Beth- soon the kings will be gone.

Your reports remind me of what I am missing......always next year.

Cptnjeff said...

If I’m not mistaken that looks like a 22W/T Revenge??