Wednesday, September 2, 2020



   First boat back today was piloted by Chris Wall. He and his one man crew had four hookups and (I heard) three fish, including this 32 pound salmon. He was close to Tomales Point judging by his short duration on the water but I don't know a definitive location. I do know that this was the largest salmon on the bragging board for a couple of hours today.


   You can't tell, but Lou Zanardi is smiling under the mask. He would be smiling large enough to see if the fish weighed over 25 pounds, but a 24 pounder still gets a pretty good smile from from Lou. I know he's smiling because he says so. Lou didn't smile earlier in the day when the first three fish released themselves. Those three and the one he landed were caught at Elephant/Keyholes. He tried Abbott's midday for no bites. 


   Shrimp Boat caught the largest of the year so far today with this 36 pound gutted salmon. It doesn't look as large as he somehow fit it into a 48 quart ice chest. This is after an attempt to straighten it out. Good for eating, not for photos. At 36 pounds with no innards this fish was pushing hard at 40 pounds in the round. No info on location but I have another picture with better size reference and a possible location for good photo analysis experts:
  This photo was received with the one word message :"Toadzilla!" That's fair, but apparently somebody on channel 9 today claimed a salmon weighing 75 pounds and measuring 54 inches long. That would be Godzilla, as the current state record is a mere 65 pounds or so. This photo is impressive, but I want to see the the picture of Mothra's sworn enemy.



 

11 comments:

rokefin said...

WOW what a toad - nice fish mates.

Those salmon are slowly moving north.

See ya Saturday

Swampy said...

Good Gravy! Nice catch.

Wrybread said...

I heard that guy talking about his 75 pound salmon on channel 9. He started out with "I'm going to need a bigger net, and I already have the biggest net you can buy". Then after a pause where he might have been weighing it he announced that his fish just weighed 74.5 pounds on his "brand new digital scale". As of now I don't see any mention of it on Coastside. Even if it turns out to be a hoax I think it must hold the record for the biggest channel 9 radio fish of all time.

Tomales Outlaw said...

I was in the fresh seafood business for a few years and the biggest west coast salmon we ever saw was just over 50#. I guess it's possible........

Outlaw

Sucka-Fish said...

can someone please help me with the mooching rules. i want to try for first time and be legal doing it. 2 hooks, must be circle, must be within 5 inches of each other? i need clarification if its one hook or two in our area? thanks all.

Tomales Outlaw said...

I can't help too much as I only mooch with 1 hook and yes it's barbless circle. One is all I've ever needed.

Outlaw

Willy said...

You can use 2 with maximum 5 inches.
https://wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Ocean/Regulations/Salmon#recreational
I think 1 works better. None work well.

Sucka-Fish said...

thanks willy. i know i promise i look it up and read it and its always in a different language so just wanted to make sure. I will take the advice and go one hook!

Thumbs said...

I guess I'm missing the action

Seabass707 said...

Check out the ‘Battle Creek’ salmon image. This photo shows a spawned 92 pound salmon being held by a CDFG spawning stream surveyor.
Fish made it all the way to the North Valley to spawn a number of years ago. I guess the genetics are still out there for Godzilla sized California salmon. I heard the guy on channel 9 call out the large salmon catch and he sure seemed excited. Odd no photos have turned up.

Willy Vogler said...

I'm probably wrong, but it seems to me that f you wanted to keep it secret you wouldn't call it out on the radio, and if you wanted everybody to know you would post it somewhere but they haven't. I'm left somewhere in the middle with the feeling that it is likely B.S. even though the size is possible (though unlikely).