Tuesday, August 25, 2020

    While I'm not sure who caught what, I do know that Ezra (the gentleman on the right. Well, actually, the gentleman in the photo) had to be involved somehow for fish of this caliber to be pictured with Tom Carter without Jerrie in the photo. The larger one weighed 19.5 pounds; the lesser, 16. The fish ate live bait, but not anchovies. An unhealthy lust for jacksmelt was the cause of these halibuts' demise. That, and Ezra. UPDATE: I got confirmation of the fact that we all suspected; Ezra caught the big one. 
    
    Hey, you remember back on the 22nd when I reported that a couple of salmon were caught off of Bird? Picture or it didn't happen, right? Mike Mack sent the picture, so it looks like it happened. It sure didn't happen for anyone I spoke with that ran out of here today. Good bait and whales out in 300 feet of water but the most important thing was lacking. Most of our fleet went after halibut and did okay. The anchovies were playing coy today and weren't very bitey. It was probably a good day to catch jacksmelt for bait. I didn't talk to every halibut fisherman but the ones I spoke to caught flatties. It ain't wide open but it's pretty good. The rockfishing out front was solid for the guys that tried, not stupid easy but a pretty steady pick of quality taco fare. 


 

1 comment:

rokefin said...

Nice fish Tom and Ezra - I imagine a fish that size looks much like a whale to Ezra

Yea Willy nothing like a load of rocks to keep the fish taco wagon open.