Thursday, July 11, 2024

 

   Swampy was kind enough to send over a report last evening, and I was tired and distracted enough to not even notice. I am sorry, sir. Here it is: "Evening,


Today’s Report: Thanks for the bait tip, ended up with limits of halibut for three today to 15 pounds. Not as big as the monster caught but we were happy with our day. The bar and north of hog was the ticket.



Tomorrow is another day.

Swampy" The halibut are sorry, too. I honestly don't remember what my bait tip could have been. Maybe that large ones are working well? Hopefully that is still true. Nice work, gents, and thanks for the vocal support last night. Camp Swampy was cheering for us while my wife fought her fish. It was  nice, but a little too much pressure to be watched. 
   Here's a Shrimp Boat text from today: "As a wise man once put it: go on black buoy bam a lam" I'm not entirely sure of the actual message, as the black buoy on the bar last year has rotted off in the winter storms, but perhaps the memory remains. The text was soon followed by a "Limited" text, so I guess the bar has some fish? Seems plausible, as there have been halibut caught from there to Marshall. Most of the halibut fishermen did well today with Hog being the most fished area. I heard no complaints about making bait, but I wasn't hanging out at the launch and asking, either. On my short visit to Hog I saw lots of school bait on the meter, so I would hope that it was biting. The halibut were, it seems.
   I forgot to mention a classic fishing story from a few nights back. Ed Parsons caught a couple halibut ad put them in his cooler. After the thumping stopped he decided to have one of his two Coors Lights. The  halibut bit holes in his cans of beer and left him with empties. I guess they figured, "If it sucks for me, it sucks for you, too." It turns out that beer-marinated halibut is pretty good, though.
   I was too tired to smile, but there's a few of these around. The details are not my secret to share, but I can say, keep an eye out, as these fish weren't hiding. They were biting, though.





No comments: