Sunday, July 28, 2024

    The halibut fishing remains the same, poor, but at least one boat did well again. The Stockton Jiggers were swarmed today as they demonstrated how to catch halibut with jigs. I apologize for "outing" them, as the swarm of boats following them today probably weren't helpful. And yet they still caught fish.

    Booyah.

    How do these guys catch that many fish? First, they bring a lot of people in their camp  to pass off fish to. That's a legal imperative, and they do that. How do they catch them? That's the question.... Part of it is that every time that boat stops, every rod in the boat is jigging. Fast, slow, they're all going. And Dave, the boat owner, is not one to stop over spots that aren't fishy. What's fishy? Well, in a word, edges. What's an edge? Any change. Water temp.  Depth. Structure. The Stockton boys used all of those things. Their jigging method clearly worked as well, even though I think that they jigged too aggressively. The fish didn't think that their jigging was too aggressive. I had my luck jigging slow with my jig. My success isn't as good as their success, so. I'm going to say to mix it up. Find the thing that works for you. You'll know what works when the fish bite.

No comments: