Sunday, September 17, 2023

 It seems that, too often, I forget to check my emails before posting. Here's the one I missed last night:"

    Don Jones and I got out today for limits south of bird. The big fish were 30” and 32”.

Hunter Smith" Nice fish, Hunter and Don. I'm going to guess live smelt but Hunter didn't say. South of Bird also encompasses quite a bit of California, but last year around this time McClure's Beach had a pretty sweet halibut bite. Maybe? 


    This poor mola washed ashore at the sand point today. Not a fishing report, I guess, but a fish report. It's not often that one washes up on the beach. I guess this one has eaten his last jellyfish.  Thanks for the photo, Scott and Stephanie, even though it makes me sad.


5 comments:

oldtimer said...

Nice Mola Mola. It looks sizable; any info on it's size?

Willy said...

They didn't say but its features look like it's over 3 feet long, guessing less than 5 feet.

Scott said...

Wasn't halibut season closed early this year Aug.4th? Is it still open?

Willy said...

California halibut is still open, just a reduced limit of two instead of three. Pacific halibut is closed. Our catch of Pacific halibut here is so close to zero that you can live your life here and never see one.

Scott said...

Got it! thank you.