Thursday, July 27, 2023


    What happened today? Let's talk about yesterday some more. Larry Varela sent over this picture from yesterday, today. This photo shows a portion of Team Alexander, otherwise known as the Evil Twins or Double Trouble, plus a lot of fish. Today the Team stayed ashore, looking for those stripers off of Sand Point. Many people lined the Point today, waiting for those pelicans to start diving. And waiting. And waiting. Gage and I were waiting, too. The pelicans never started their blitz. As far as I know, the bite never happened, but then again, I wasn't there all day. Gage and I caught two halibut, 12 and 14 pounds, both on live jacksmelt. We couldn't find the school bait. We did try trolling for halibut in front of the esteros, but we caught nothing, except...

    Our trolling for halibut ended after the second, non-existent king salmon bit the bait. I am happy that they're here, but damn. My hand was shaking a bit on the release. The hand that was saying, "Give it the wood!" was shaking. No wood was given, but I'm guessing that more fish will be going up the river this fall than were predicted. 


1 comment:

Sucka-Fish said...

Love seeing the chrome! I caught one in 45-50' of water it santa cruz yesterday. 12-15lb range. trolling for halibut. Grabbed the leader line on the side of the boat, he gave one good shake and the hooked popped out. reminded me how soft those mouths are... I miss em, so happy to see one too.