Thursday, July 20, 2023

 



    I received these pictures and a text from Tom Brodsky this morning: "Yesterday's catch and release. 15 rockfish before Ed needed to return too the smoother water of the bay. Where we released 31" & 34" stripers. Both on Redrums." There weren't many halibut or stripers caught yesterday, so I'd say Ed's choice to return to the bay was a good choice for you guys. It is easier to let those stripers go when you when already have a fish box full of filets. Gage also released a striper yesterday, but I didn't hear of any others boated. Nice job, guys (even you, Gage). 
   
    Team Swampy ended up with half-limits of halibut today with their big one going 25 pounds. While I didn't speak to Mr. Swampy, his history would indicate that these fish bit live bait, probably jacksmelt or shiners. I did see him boat one on the bar, pretty close to where I caught a 16 pounder today (mine also liked jacksmelt). His bar fish came well after the tide started coming in and the water temperature had dropped from 57º to 51º, so warm water isn't needed for a bite but it sure helps (mine bit in 57º). I also caught and released a striper on the bar but had to chase pelicans almost into the breakers to hook it.


No comments: