Saturday, July 8, 2023

     The west wind is back and is predicted to be here for a while. Inshore water will cool. But on the bright side, I get more sleep. I guess that's only good for me. The not fishing makes me grumpy, my wife says. Maybe I just seem nicer to her when I'm not home. Either way, the forecast is for a better rested, grumpy Willy for the next week. 




   But before the wind hit, James Leonard had a good trip. His report: "Hey Willy. My buddy and I took our 5 kids out to Tomales to try and find a few summer break halibut. Once again, Tomales did not disappoint! We first ran down to Marshall for some trolling. The first fish was on within 2 minutes! Following that we had a few shorts, then the bite shut down. We then decided to run back to Hog for a few drifts. We had difficulties locating any live bait so we decided to just drift some popsicles. After two quick drifts south of hog we had 2 more fish in the box. The fish measured in at  23”, 24”, and 28”. I’m not sure who had more fun, the kids or the dads! " Well, no pictures of the dads, so I guess we'll have to assume the happy kids were the winners. As James indicated, there's a few halibut all over the bay. The Hog Island area has been quietly spitting out a few halibut for a while now, but apparently the successful fishermen have been keeping it quiet as an empty bay is a fun bay to fish. It's still not as good as the catching in San Francisco Bay, but it's not nothing. Mostly. 

   


No comments: