Saturday, July 16, 2022



    Jesse Keilman and crew came here to catch salmon in shallow water. It is that time and they should be here, but they aren't. So when Jesse asked where to go this morning, I told him 16 by 6 to 17 by 7. During the past week, it seemed that people fishing this area did well. It is difficult to imagine Jesse and company's disappointment when they limited to 25 pounds before noon in 270 feet of water. I agree with Jesse, too deep, but, as Jesse reminded me, one makes do with what one has. Have you ever caught so many fish that the weight in the boat causes the propeller hub to spin? Me neither, but Jesse has. First world problems, eh? Too many fish caught in a manner you don't approve of. I'm working on my sympathy but I just can't can't seem to well up a tear. Your story ain't Old Yeller, Jesse.
      There were a few halibut caught today by Hog Island down to Marshall. Not many, but a few. Jake Showaker caught a striper on the troll near Marshall, along with a couple of halibut. There's not much else to report.


 

6 comments:

Tomales Outlaw said...

Next week we will be coming to catch salmon in shallow water. I figure if we don't ask you where to go, we can't blame you for telling us we need to fish deep, so we'll pretend we don't know you and ask Gage where to go, then go where we usually go. Have tray bait ok? It's difficult to mooch a WMA.

Outlaw

Willy said...

Tray anchovies are running out. I have a few cases of tray herring .

Numbnutz said...

We really appreciate all you do willy ,I am hoping you can help me ,I'm trying to find good rock fish areas and not having any luck ,any info would be highly appreciated thanks

Willy said...

I like the south end of Elephant Reef just below the 10 line, for starters. Cruise around slowly in 100 to 120 feet of water looking for schools of fish on the bottom. They're usually rockfish.

rokefin said...

Did many boats go outside?

Willy said...

In a word, no. The weather outside was frightful.