Wednesday, July 20, 2022

    As you may have heard by now, the salmon bite got really, really good here. It's still out there a ways, today at 15 and 5 or so (with other bites at 15 and 6, 14 by 3, 13 by 3, etc. There's a few hungry fish around and if you find them it is happiness) but everything is moving. Tomorrow the locations (and the weather) will be different. Unless it isn't. Unpredictability is the only predictable thing. But some guys did very well. Here's a few of their stories:
    Evil Twins, featuring the Alexander twins and Larry Varela plus special guests, landed limits of twelve salmon and were home in about three hours today. They didn't have Gage to lay on their fish for a picture, but that's probably better, in my opinion. Nothing over 20 pounds but most of the fish weighed 18 to 19 pounds. Yesterday these guys trolled up 14 (for five guys) halibut in the bay. They may be killers. Two days of fishing the salt this season and they are one fish away from perfect limits.


     Mike Lincoln also had his second day on the water here today. His big one weighed 22 pounds. Well done, Mike.

    I still don't get tired of seeing members of the old "10 dog" camp catching lots of big fish. That's what they did, and that's what they still do. Ron Johnson and Mike Miller landed these 23 and 24 pound salmon around 14 and 3 today. They aren't too upset about missing the fleet fishing to their northwest.

    Margo Cooper caught the largest fish landed here today, a 25 pound halibut that ate a live bait south of Hog. Not the place one would expect a large fish, yet still it was there. It's good that the fish don't read this report and find out where they're not supposed to be.

   Here's my fish from the evening of the 18th. It took about 45 minutes to catch a 22 and a 15 pounder at 14 by 3. Eighty feet down on the flasher/hootchie combo. It took longer to drive around the campground, bragging, than it did to catch them. Done. I woke up and finished writing. Good night.



 

5 comments:

Bigkevfish said...

What does 14 by 3 mean somebody helped me out I just want to catch my 1st salmon on my own boat I've been on charters before but looking to do it myself

rokefin said...

Epic salmon times - relish the moment!

Willy said...

The post on July 7 has the info on numbers

Tomales Outlaw said...

I'm predicting that next week will have very little wind, ultra fishable conditions and plenty of shallow water salmon. My predictions almost never prove true, but if you try enough times you are bound to get it right eventually.

Outlaw

Giuseppe said...

I think you're spot on, how do I know? Because I work all week and am out of town the following weekend.