Friday, April 1, 2022

    Yesterday Gage and I went fishing on the beach and never had a bite. We started thinking that we night suck at this. Then Dan Steneck pulled up around noon today to confirm our worst fears. I guess I need to get one of his jerkbaits. I'm not Lucky at my Craft without them, it seems. Very nice work again, Dan. 
   I hadn't even looked until today, but it appears that the Point Reyes waverider buoy has been back up and running since January 26. The wave height for the last five days has ranged from seven to sixteen feet high and the average period from six to eight seconds between waves. That translates to "bad weather". Another indicator is the water temp rapidly dropping from a high of 53º to hover between 49.5º and 50.5º. The lower the temperature, the more wind and the more upwelling. The forecast looks breezy for a while. As we stand today, crab traps are still legal for sport fishermen. I think that will change soon, but who knows? If you do get a weather window and drop traps, please look out for whales. A dead whale wrapped in Dungeness gear will close the season for a long time. A dead blue whale could close the season for up to three years. So, now you have another reason why killing a whale is bad (did you need another?). Please be as careful as you can, for your sake and the rest of us.

 

No comments: