Sunday, April 3, 2022

   Well, nobody came in this weekend with stripers to make me feel any worse, so there's that. The New Sea Angler and Reel Magic did catch salmon yesterday, limits for the Magic and almost limits for the Angler, so it actually means that there's quite a few fish out there. That is kind of atypical for April, but supposedly we are living in atypical times, so there you go. I accept the good parts. The way things are lining up, there could be squid spawns in May and June and a good white sea bass bite during that time. The wind says no, but other indicators seem to differ. I'm hopeful, mostly because I'm hopeful. Catching white sea bass, as I vaguely recall, is good. I'll be watching water temps with the weather eye. 

   Crabbing over the weekend was good if reds were on the agenda. Dungeness? Far, far less so. There were some caught, even by the shore snaring folks, but it surely wasn't a hot bite. Most folks went without. All the wind has made things very entertaining for the people watching the self-launches as the freshly-blown sand has been very, very soft. Even the tractors are having a hard time. It will get better, but probably not before it gets worse. I took a temperature check yesterday afternoon at a 2.5' tide as the water was still going out and had 56.5º in front of the boathouse. THAT was the most interesting thing all day, as far I was concerned. There may be biting halibut in Inverness and there will be biting halibut by Hog Island and points north soon thereafter. 56º-57º is pretty much the go/no-go line. The report may soon become more interesting.

   Also interesting, there may be a change in the rockfish season year, in which the depth restriction we have become used to may apply in reverse. We could have up to four months of only fishing deeper than 300 feet of water. Rittenburg? The Football? Black cod on the edge of nowhere at the continental shelf? All in. And more. Cordell would continue to be a no-go, but other options are around, especially for a user of the Navionics app. I'm not selling it, but I have bought it, and it is worth it. All is revealed.

6 comments:

Harvest Time said...

I would love it if it were legal to fish Rittenburg.

Wait, that didn't sound right...

Unknown said...

bud of mine was killing dungies just inside of Jingle bells three days ago..that 300+ deal would be interesting,good luck finding hard bottom..J/S

rokefin said...

The 300 deal would have incidental hook-ups of Pacific Hali:)

Unknown said...

The only structure over 300’ deep is around Cordell and Rittenberg. I’d love for them to open that up for us but doubt they will!!

There’s more Pac halibut out here than people realize. But who’s willing to take off time from salmon to run to 600’?

Willy said...

I'm thinking failed albacore run. It happens, to me at least. I gotta through out one more spot: the Football. Deep, off the river. No structure but lots of fish if you don't mind 600+ feet of winding.

rokefin said...

Them Pac's are out there for sure and I hope I get the time to chase them. I curse electric reels but maybe a few off shore trips will change my attitude.

For now I would love some deep drop rocks!