Thursday, April 14, 2022

   Poor reports from yesterday and a fairly stiff South wind today kept Gage and I ashore today, yet somehow Gage found a way to hurt me. His thirty-ish cast or so with a jig head I supplied (and that he gave me heck about) caught this striper mid-beach. I caught my usual, nothing. It was raining and cold windy but at least one fish didn't care.
   Here's a report from yesterday: "April 13 left out of Lawson across the bar to be greeted by a pod of whales dropped 4 pots in 75 feet of water with a 4hr soak 5 legal male Dungeness and lots of undersized. Trolled in 190 feet of water with no luck for salmon. We headed to salmon creek for some rock fishing lots of small Ling cod got a few backs and blues .The best part of the day was picking up my two personal best ." Those are some nice lings. I'm sure salmon would have been even more appreciated but I bet those lings fried up real nice. Most of the boats that went for salmon yesterday came home with nothing, some with rockfish, and only a few with pink meat aboard. Nice work coming home with some nice fish. Five keeper Dungeness from the outer bay on a four hour soak sounds pretty good, too. The numbers inside the bay have been ... poor. Outside ain't much better. It should pick up a bit for the finale, especially as crabbing effort will drop off with the trap ban. 



 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw a healthy, 35"ish striper caught near the day beach this morning. Sand crabs looked to be that striper's last meal. Fishing was very quiet otherwise despite the beautiful conditions.

Greybeard said...

Thanks Willy for Putting the spotlight to Gage. The words out to. Lots of Fishing going on Friday the 15th. I got skunked to.