Thursday, April 7, 2022

 Well, it isn't red hot for most out of Bodega/Tomales, but there's some fish if you're skilled or, like us today, lucky. We tried off of Bodega Head in 300 feet of water to start. I guess some guys nailed them out there yesterday. Well, after two hours of trolling through what appeared to be a desert we got a call from Tailout saying fish were being caught south of Elephant in 240 feet of water. Not having a reason to stay, we ran down there. After only several hours, we finally landed a fish after noon on a flasher/hootchie. Ultimately Chris Brown, Gage and I finished with four fish about eight to ten pounds, three hookups on straight bait (one landed), five hookups on flasher/hootchie (three landed), one rod bait, two rods hootchies. The fish weren't big, but like the weather they were hot. A lot of fish were caught at 9 and 2 (or 8 and 3, earlier) but there was very little bait. One humpback rolled through while we were there. There were quite a few murres around and they seemed to be feeding near the bottom. Our fish came mostly at 100 feet on the wire, one at 60 pulls with a two pound ball. If I were to go tomorrow I would go to 9 by 2, but since we have a gale warning I probably wouldn't go at all. This was likely my April salmon day. It's my first April salmon. 

   It was awesome.

   Upon returning home we cleaned the boat, then the fish, then I went out on the beach to try for stripers in the surf (the high tide in the evening doesn't happen often enough.). I caught nothing but watched Eddie Parsons land two beautiful stripers to 16 pounds so close to me that he could hear me yelling horrible things at him. And he can't hear well. He caught his fish on a Yo-Zuri Mag Darter in sardine. I will own one soon. 

   Now bed.

3 comments:

rokefin said...

Some days are just hard work - glad you got'm

Unknown said...

Was an awesome day! I've never heard Gage hoot over a salmon so purely! We earned em but tail out is always reliable. Used my last bit of charge on that call! Thanks Mike .. and happy birthday.. whofkndInI

Tailout said...

Unknown is known. You know what they say about 10 percent of us fisherman. Your team is right there!