Friday, September 3, 2021


    Alec Bennett took Jerrie Carter out salmon fishing at the break of 10:00 this morning. It turns out that sometimes the early bird misses the worm entirely. These well-rested individuals returned as the high boat from here with three salmon to 27 pounds and two halibut. All fish caught in North McClure's/Trees area in 80ish feet of water on anchovies behind a dodger and a flasher/hootchie (slight edge to the junk). The Second Shift lives!

   

    Kevin Fogal sent me text this evening with this picture. "Willie I gave them hell today I got a late start this morning hooked 4   landed two salmon and two halibut same place trees to McClure white Hoochie in a race head with anchovies" Late start, eh? Maybe I see a pattern here. Then again, Kevin's late and Alec's late may be two entirely different time zones. I think Kevin lives on GMT. Whatever time zone, I see a hootchie pattern in there. Nice work Kevin. 
   Sorry, I didn't catch the name, but this fish weighed 18 pounds and was one of very few salmon that hit the scale today. I can say that Steve Cato was involved to a large degree. I can also say that most of the salmon fishermen returning today had what I can only describe as disgusted looks on their faces. There were a lot of zeroes today, and some of the guys with zeroes were not guys that get zeroes very often. I'm sorta used to it, but for these guys it hurt. There were fish caught from Tomales Point down to Abbott's Lagoon (and there may have been some fish off of the Head, too. Rumors) but, of the many, many boats, maybe half caught a fish or more. And there were many, many boats. Not as many as tomorrow, but a lot. If you're going out this weekend, good luck and fenders out. On the halibut front, I believe more were caught by salmon fishermen in deep water (deep for Northern California halibut). There were a few more caught on the bar today, two that I heard of, but that's two more than I heard about at Hog. 




   Here's a couple of pics from Eddie Kim's and Gage's trip on the Tomahawk out of San Diego this week. Eddie caught a 205 pound bluefin on the kite and Gage jigged up a 140 pounder. Gage hasn't arrived home yet, so I don't know whether the fish or his head is larger. It could go either way.

6 comments:

Wiley said...

Some serious fishing going on there. I don’t know Mr Kim but congratulations on breaking the 200 lb. club. That’s a bucket list check off for sure. Nice work gentleman…

rokefin said...

Yes that is awesome fishing!!! I’d take the 100 lb club 200 lbs is a lot of tuna!

Local legend said...

My neighbor used say fishing started at the crack of noon.

Deplorable2 said...

That's what I'm talking about Eddie and Gage... Heck yeah...

Richard said...

That’s awesome Willy , I wonder if Gage will bother with surfperch anymore after this trip and the next one:)

Richard said...

Hey Willy that’s awesome Gage and Kim, Do you think they would like to share what artist they were using?