Thursday, June 6, 2024

    I was asked for a Dungeness report in the ocean today and I realized that, well, I don't know. I kinda need a few boats to go out and try so I can talk to them, but we haven't had a lot of good weather lately, and when we did, nobody from here went out. I did hear that soon after commercial Dungeness closed and traps became illegal to use again, the clutch ended and some of the experimental, "whale safe" crab fisheries were doing very well out deep. But I didn't see any crabs, personally. I have seen quite a few crabbers reporting bad crabbing inside Tomales Bay. Most of the crabbers are doing well to catch one keeper Dungy. But every so often somebody shows up and absolutely hammers the Dungeness. Eddie Kim did it, but he pretty much traded squid for crab on a pound for pound basis. A very few others limited as well, and did it without using as much bait, but they are the extreme exception. So, yeah, there's crab, but you probably won't catch one. 

    The same can be said for halibut here, as far as I can tell. There were probably a dozen boats trying for halibut today. I saw two boats land fish. The three boats that I spoke with that also happen to be local killers had one keeper, released, between them. That's between Inverness and Hog Island. A lot of ground covered but very few fish caught. However, on a similar note to the crab, Gage and I fished from Marshall to Inverness between 7:30 and 10:30 and caught our limits of not very big but big enough halibut. We had a few shorts and a few hit-and-misses as well. All biters were on Predator minnows and Zoom flukes. No takers on bait. So, you can get them to bite, but it is a lot of work. 

No comments: