Sunday, May 26, 2024

 It is amazing what happens when the weather doesn't suck. It has sucked for a week or so (unless you're a kite surfer or wind surfer; then it was awesome!) but the wind dropped yesterday to a moderate level and today it was nice until late afternoon. And go figure, nice weather =people fishing=people catching. It's my kind of math. Here's some reports:

  Here's a report plus photo from the former Petaluma Newbie: "Good Evening Willy!

Mike Solis here (Formerly ‘Petaluma Newbie’ on the fishing blog. Now since I’ve moved I guess I need to come up with a new name lol but that seems like too much work to do right now).  I wanted to deliver a fishing report that could get people excited…

Me, my son, and my buddy fished this afternoon. Those white sea bass you alluded to the other day? Well, there was at least one back by Marshall today. At least I think it was a White Sea bass. I’d never caught one before. It bit a live jacksmelt. Got it to the boat, netted it, but this one wasn’t quite long enough to become my dinner. So, unfortunately back it went. First white sea bass of my life. I hope to get more, it put up a decent fight and I’ve heard they are delicious. Other than that, we had no predator fish to speak of. Tons and tons and tons of bait - jacksmelt, sardines (I think), and even a mackerel (also I think, that decided to bite a drifted dead anchovy of all things). But the undersized white sea bass was the only bigger fish we got all afternoon. Photo attached." Mission accomplished, Mike. I am excited. Of course, you forgot the first rule of white seabass club, which is that you don't talk about white seabass club (It's also the second rule. We stole our rules from Fight Club. Worked once). Luckily for the public at large, my larger rule is to post what I'm sent, unless I'm told differently. I will happily accept secret tips, but I will also happily forward any info that you want to pass on. And good on you, Mike, for sharing top secret info, you Snowden. And I say that as a Snowden fan. 



    While we're in the "I caught a seabass!" vibe, here's another report, this one from Branden Mendoza: "Hey Willy it's been a while since we had anything to report.  Today was a different story. Picked up 1 30inch halibut on a rotary herring and flasher combo and a 23inch on a Berkley white gulp grub. We also lost 3 more and had a nice surprise also take the grub we hooked a 23inch white sea bass that we released.  Most of the halibut came by Marshall in about 18-20ft of water. The sea bass and other halibut came from Inverness in 12-15ft of water. " 28 inches the minimum size you're looking for on WSB. Awesome bummer on the shortie, but you're doing something right if you're catching WSB. Good job on the halibut, too. It seemed like they were biting pretty good to me the last couple of times I went back there, but other people had different results and I started to doubt my own veracity. No more doubts, now, but the knowledge that I missed out on white sea bass still messes with me. And I've always thought, as long as somebody is jealous of what you're doing then you're doing it right. I can say, Branden, from where I am, you're doing it right.
     Scott Simpson sent over this report from yesterday: "First Tomalas Bay fish of 2024. Lost the first one at the boat,  a real nice one (30"?) that didn't want anything to do with fish tacos and spit the hook with one head shake before the gaff was in position.  After that, nothing for three hours. We thought of your words of wisdom a  few post back. "If what you are doing isn't working, try something different". So we got the sabiki rod out and stumbled across bait. 30 minutes later this one joined the party. They are out there, if what you are doing isn't working, try something different. Thanks Willy. We have learned to listen. " Listen to this: You caught that fish. Nice work. I heard that today you clobbered them quick. Even better. I think that you may have them dialed in. The best part of fishing is that the fish can change their number after a bit, but solving the new puzzle is fun, too. 
   
  I neglect the mollusks when reporting, but i did receive this picture from the Nursements this evening. Mara had shoulder surgery and a hip replacement this past year and still got out there. A lot of clams were dug up this weekend. These clams made for really good chowder. Others are making some wonderful sashimi and fritters. Clams suck to dig, and they suck to clean, but good God, they are some tasty critters. Squid with shells. There are some good tides coming up in the next couple of months, so get 'em while you can.




No comments: