Friday, November 17, 2023

 Guess what? "

Risk Assessment and Mitigation Program Update -  November 17, 2023

California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) Director Charlton H. Bonham has assessed entanglement risk under the Risk Assessment Mitigation Program (RAMP) and announced the commercial Dungeness crab fishery in Fishing Zones 1 and 2 will be delayed, and the season delay in Fishing Zones 3-6 remains in effect due to increased concentrations of blue and humpback whalesThere is also a continuation of the temporary crab trap restriction in the recreational crab fishery in Fishing Zones 3 and 4 and will now include Fishing Zone 1. The recreational trap restriction for Fishing Zone 1 will go into effect on Sunday, Nov. 26, 2023, at 6 p.m. and continue in Zones 1, 3 and 4 until at least the next risk assessment. The Fleet Advisory for the recreational fleet in Fishing Zones 1-6 remains in effectRecreational take of Dungeness crab by other methods, including hoop nets and crab snares, is not affected by the temporary trap restriction and is allowed statewide. The use of recreational crab traps in Fishing Zones 2 and 5 is also still allowed. 

The next scheduled risk assessment is expected to occur on or around Dec. 7 or 8, 2023. The full news release can be found at the CDFW News Room and for more information, please visit CDFW’s Whale Safe Fisheries webpage.   

" So, that's what. As they suggested, so they decided. The situation stays the same, except that no more traps in the far north of California. Are there suddenly more whales there? At any rate, as sportsmen, we have nothing to complain about. The commercial guys are .... sorry, all my metaphors are pretty disgusting and not to be shared here. Least offensive is, they're getting screwed someplace uncomfortable, and it ain't the back of a Volkswagen Bug. Sorry, guys. But, hey, bluefin to the Oregon border! 

   Also in crab world, some good numbers from the outer bay. A few boats the last few days limited out there, and others did very well. I didn't do as well as I planned but caught five jumbos in an hour with four hoops. I think my bait (bluefin trimmings) washed out pretty quick, as my three runs through the gear dropped from four keepers on the first pass, then one, then none. Then I went home, as high tide would prevent me from getting the boat back out of the water until 2:30. So, a little over an hour for a half limit of jumbos. I think that I would have done better with some squid in the mix, but I only needed five crabs, so good enough. Others did better than I. The good crabbing should last for a while, as the pros won't be able to go for a bit longer.

1 comment:

Local legend said...

The rockfish carcasses catch better than the bft. I tried both over 4 trips. Tried a controlled experiment. I’ll spare you all the details of that. As for chicken, I’m not even sure that’s legal. I remember reading in Dfg regs somewhere that you’re only allowed to use bait that comes from the sea.