Wednesday, November 1, 2023


    
From yesterday, not two fish, but one fish twice. Nice damn fish, though. This one went 122 pounds. Tom Brodsky and Vern Sasaki caught it well beyond the Football around noon on a pink Halco Max 190 (or 220). Not many bluefin caught yesterday, so Tom thought he'd try his luck again today.
   Tom also brought along his lucky Ron Johnson. Ron did all the reeling and grunting for this one. It went 108 on our scale, gutted, but it felt and looked heavier to me. This fish also bit the pink Halco, but it bit just after sunrise on the north side of the Bodega Canyon. Pretty serious work for a couple of retired guys.
   Peter Kim and crew (yes, that's Doug in there) caught this 108 pound (gutted, gilled) bluefin at the Football today. The saw many nonbiting tuna but finally found a biter at 10:30 or so this morning. It liked Peter's green mackerel Madmac 200. Peter earned this first bluefin for his boat after seven trips. Your time was up, Peter. Nice work, but watch that gaff work. The fish didn't like getting punctured and took a five minute tour of the area before returning with Peter's gaff. There was a noontime bite at the Football, or at least it seemed like it to me, as I watched boat after boat hook fish around me. Gage and I hooked zero fish today. There were other boats with zeroes, too, but watching other people catch makes it hard to tell yourself that the fish aren't biting. Then guy crying for help on the radio because he needed a gaff (or maybe another gaff and a guy to work it) to land his fish was kind of the straw that broke this camel's back. I may have yelled vile things at the radio. You researched, bought the right gear, ran to right place, trolled the right way, hooked a fish, got it to the boat, but forgot that you might catch a fish as big as you? That might be difficult to get into the boat? Isn't that kind of the point of this fishery? I have five gaffs on the boat when tuna fishing. I've never needed more than three. I guess I had too many gaffs and hands to catch a tuna today.
   On the crabbing front, it looks good for the opener. There were a few people poaching from shore today and they caught some very nice Dungeness (The person I heard this report from saw the crabs but the poachers in question assured her that the season opened on November 1. It doesn't) Assuming we can CalTip any future season jumpers, it bodes well for the rest of the law-abiding fishermen. Decent crab on the beach should mean good crabbing where the crab should be. Time will tell. We did score a few fish heads for bait for the opener from a commercial fisherman, so we will be selling those for as long as we can get them. Demand is likely to outstrip supply.





 

7 comments:

Giuseppe said...

I hope Peter's odd align with mine, I have six trips in this year, hopefully#7 is a success.

Willy Vogler said...

Keep trying. And try putting them farther if you have the line for it. Sometimes it's changing you tactics that finally works, and sometimes it's just bull-headed determination that wears them down. I'm a fan of whatever works.

Harvest Time said...

This post gave me serious gaff anxiety. I need a safe space, or more and bigger gaffs.

Harvest Time said...

To Guiseppe:
I watched a video where the guys used the Rapala digital line counter to set at 1000’, 800’ and 650’. Then I read captain Ryan G say to run your 200 MM further back and your 240 MM closer to help ensure no cross-overs.

My Penn FTH60LD2 reels only hold about 735yd of 100# solid braid, not including the 150’ of 130# mono, which barely starts rubbing the frame if you reel it in perfectly, so while I am waiting for the Makaira 50Ws, 150# braid and 200# mono to arrive (apparently on a slow boat from China!) I set the 200 MM at 800’ and the 240 MM at 650’.

For the first time in a bunch of trips it almost felt like we knew what we were doing and BOOM, we nailed a 140#er on the 240 MM.

Giuseppe said...

Harvest Time,

Funny you say that as that's what we did today, but ran em close as a buddy got one at 300'. Sure enough, trip number 7 did the trick! On the 200 MM 600' back.

Giuseppe said...

Willy, for me it was mostly missing the bite by a couple of hours or being at the wrong place when the bite turned on.

Willy said...

Nice work sir.