Monday, June 19, 2023

     My apologies to Chris DiTrani. I knew his story but I fell asleep while writing the report last night. Chris knew that he had a good story, not quite as good as Cannon's, but pretty darn good. : "Saturday at the bar.  Wish I had the blowup on camera. Fish came out of the water  just like a striper hitting a plug. This was one of two halibut and one small keeper striper for the day. 

Chris" Chris said it was slow fishing. Not for here on Saturday, Chris. I think that there was a boat with five halibut but they fished for longer with many more lines. I have two, possibly attainable, bucket-list fish. Both are halibut. I'd like to catch one from the shore and I'd like to catch one on a topwater. If it is the same fish, well, even better. But my two seemingly attainable dreams came true for other people on Saturday. Maybe it can happen for me. I hope that my wife will bear with me on the time I'm going to spend out there, now. Well, not quite now. The wind is blowing, hard. It should, this time of year, as June is historically the windiest time of year here. The southern California-style "June Gloom" of overcast and light winds has, it seems, blown away. The wind sucks today, and casting from the beach actually could result in your lure blowing back into your face. That hurts, for the record, both physically and emotionally. The emotional scarring is deeper and lasts longer, BTW. Anyhow, nice job, Chris. I am jealous. Bucket-list. 

2 comments:

Sucka-Fish said...

Hi Willy, I havent spent much time fishing the bar. what is a good depth to fish at for targeting the halibut. Thanks Chris

Willy said...

No magic depth. I have caught halibut from 6 to 36 feet of water. Too shallow and the waves break on you. 15 to 25 feet preferred.