Sunday, June 25, 2023

 

  I try to report the fish, and there aren't a lot to report on, but here's one from today: "15lber at mcclures on smelt" For the record, Mike Mack sent me this photo, the smelt was live, as I understood it, and the fish bit soon after they dropped their lines in, drifting from 50 feet to 20. Mike and Spinner didn't have any other halibut bites, but they fished the right place for cold water, in my opinion. It seems to me that McClure's will provide in the "cold", as I understand it. 51ºat the beach today. That's cold water. There were a few other halibut caught today, but not many. I took Chris Brown (of Bigfoot Baits) out this evening and we determined that the fish just weren't there. Yet. But they better watch out when they show up. We gonna get you.

2 comments:

Bottom Scratcher said...

Hi Willy - I would like to do some research on bait fish that use to be abundant on the Bar. Do you know the scientific name or have photos of the pencil fish or needlefish that use to be very common and the main diet for halibut?

thanks, Dave

Willy Vogler said...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_lance The Pacific sand lance would be the critter you're looking for. It looks like they might be back this year. When the water was clearer you could see the tinsel flashing at slack tide.