Saturday, September 10, 2022

     Sorry, I was away for a few days and Cameron was too busy to post that no catching was happening. Well, almost no catching. Most people went without fish, but a few guys did well. I heard a story about an "epic" day of fishing by Miller Time where the boys landed salmon, lingcod and halibut to 29 pounds on a day when most fishermen struggled hard to get any one of those. Today, Ron Johnson landed both a salmon over 20 pounds and a nice halibut. Both of these feats occurred off of McClure's Beach. There are salmon being caught off of the north end of Ten Mile Beach and in the outer bay, too, just not a consistent bite anywhere. You have a better chance of catching nothing in all of those places, but there's little pods of salmon moving through the area, and if you and they meet, life is good. Otherwise, bring a book. The halibut fishing has been the better bet but it is less than excellent. More catching than the salmon fleet, though. 

   So, what was I doing that was so important, you ask. Well,




    Gage I have a new policy. If Eddie Kim invites you on a fishing trip, you go. You don't ask questions. This policy resulted in Gage and I landing seven bluefin on Wednesday night. A couple of them were less than 100 pounds (including the 60 pounder I caught flylining 40 pound gear. My arm still hurts) but most were 100 to 130 pounds. I got off to an early lead, but Gage beat me by the end of the night. Thank goodness fishing isn't a competition, or I'd be losing all the time. Then we came home, and with a lot of help, vacuum packed the fish over the last two nights. Thanks for the help, everybody. It takes a village, as they say.  


6 comments:

oldtimer said...

WOW! Great Catches; I'm very envious but not as tired! When I shot a moose in AK we'd have meat for near 2 years. Fish for years?

Tomales Outlaw said...

Daaayyyyuummmmmm!!!

Outlaw

rokefin said...

Awesome trip Willy and Gage, amazing how the fishing champs are always champs!

No chance to catch salmon unless your fishing - I did run a friend around the outer bay for a very short boat ride, saw a stick boat and a few others running around out there, we went over a few nice bait balls. Never did see a net but weren’t on the water for very long.

Richard said...

You dog! I just couldn’t figure out how you sent me EK,s weapon of choice. Now I see! What boat were you on if you don’t mind me asking?

Willy said...

Woof! The Fortune. Jeff Walker is the man. Pacific Queen two weeks ago. Also badass

Kwitchurbichin said...

Awesome job!!! Can't wait for my chance Oct 2023!!!