Saturday, November 7, 2020

    The Point Reyes waverider buoy peaked at 20 feet every 14 seconds this morning, and while the Bodega Buoy never got much over 17 feet, I think it was a good day to stay off the ocean. I heard of one guy that jumped the bar and crabbed the outer bay for a grand total of six Dungeness. Inside Tomales Bay numbers I heard ran from zero (there were quite a few zeros) to 31. The hot spots? I don't think there were any. For every story I heard of a place with some crab there were three more stories of guys in the same place catching nothing. One fellow dropped a trap by Marker 5 and pulled seven Dungeness out of it an hour later, while another guy ran six traps in the same area for a grand total catch of a few reds. There was a lot of gear that went missing which I would usually blame on the current but there wasn't much of that today. It sounds like a lot of buoys got cut off by props, even on weighted lines. A sinking rope makes for a smaller target but doesn't guarantee someone can't hit it. It does make you wonder how the guy with a hundred feet of floating yellow rope ever gets his trap back. Quick answer: Often he doesn't. 

4 comments:

Tomales Outlaw said...

Does anyone know if the possession limit on Dungeness crabs is the same as the daily limit? I cannot find anything in the regs about this, just a general limit of 10. Am I allowed more than 10 cooked crabs in my campsite? Thanks.

Outlaw

Willy said...

The limit is the Limit. 10. Eat a lot of crab.

Tomales Outlaw said...

Will do.

Outlaw

Captain Ron said...

But yet we get to keep double the daily bag limit on salmon...go figure