Saturday, November 21, 2020

     Some of the guys that went to Ten Mile did really well on the Dungeness today, so maybe there's more out there than I'm being told. Or, these guys are lucky, or better crabbers, or both. Either way, they caught limits of Dungies down there. Another fellow told me that he caught two limits of Dungeness in the outer bay. It only took him three days to do it.  That's about on par with inside the bay. That said, on boat yesterday ended up with 12 Dungeness for several pots on Ten Mile, so the big beach is still far from guaranteed success. 





Got this email this afternoon: "Hey Willy

Thank you for the informative post on the 12th, I followed your clues Friday and Had a successful day With a friend.

Richard" My clues didn't look as good as your pile of dead critters, Richard. My bugs were surely not as large. Nicely done, sir.


   Gage sent me this picture and note: "High Times Fishing, a frequent on the fishing report, had squid eggs on his traps in the channel across from the store" So, squid definitely enter the bay. They will spawn in the bay, although perhaps not in great numbers. I don't think this makes the area across the bay a squid spawn zone and therefore a place to reliably catch white sea bass (although I have caught them there...), or does it...? One female squid appears to carry two of these egg sacs, so for sure it looks like there were at least four female squid present. I'd get more excited except for the (recently warmed up to) 52ºF water temp. That seems too cold for white seabass or squid. Except, you know, squid were here. Maybe they don't know it's too cold? Do the seabass know? I'm pretty sure that I don't know.

22 comments:

BIG"D" said...

You can buy chicken year round from just about anywhere.

Harvest Time said...

You can get a roast chicken at Costco for $5, but it's totally cheating.

Willy said...

The chicken stories are usually not as good as the crabbing stories. Usually...

rokefin said...

What is the limit on chickens

D said...

2 per household....it’s 2020 man

Willy said...

Chicken is the new toilet paper.

BD said...

I'm newer to fishing in Tomales Bay. Got my first (and only) halibut this year. Anywho, there was mention of squid in the bay, Do you folks jig for them in the bay? Something I've never done, love to know how. Fried calamari, oh hell ya!
Tight lines and full pots to all.

BD

Willy said...

Great job on your first halibut! The next one will be easier. The reason for mentioning squid in the bay is because that's not the norm. At least, not what I was led to believe was true. My (extremely limited) successful squidding occurred in the ocean over a multi-acre spawn area. Squid jigs worked, as did regular sabikis. Finding the spawn area is the art. Could be that across the bay is the spot but I'm rarely that lucky. When I got them there were like 100 or more murres on the surface. A huge raft of birds. Haven't seen that in the bay. But my squid knowledge is extremely limited. I agree with your review of fried calamari.

BIG"D" said...

Chicken is good fried.

BIG"D" said...

I thought the banks money was your new tp and you had been using Dillon beach sand.

BIG"D" said...

Willy little, the sky is falling.

Harvest Time said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Harvest Time said...

You’ve gotta be pretty crabbed to be taking pot shots at our friend Willy.

rokefin said...

My friend I used Benjamins once and they don't work well....

BIG"D" said...

Fair play.

Tomales Outlaw said...

Jackass.

Outlaw

BIG"D" said...

Tomales turkey.

Tailout said...

Hey what do you guys think, we could take up a collection and donate to"unknown" so he can buy an identity. Anything would be better than what he has now!

rokefin said...

He has no identity cuz he doesn’t catch fish - it’s obvious he is no fisherman

Swampy said...

Don’t feed the trolls. Love the info shared here.

Swampy

BIG"D" said...

Atleast I don't sale chineese bicyle lights in place of quality fishing apperal. Talk about identity crisis Assout. Go BBQ a truck dopefin. Hey stimpy does Tim still fillet your fish for you, tell you where they are, and give you bait? That's what he does for me, not to mention he's my guru. Ask him if he considers big D a troll. The landing is going downhill whether any of you like it or not and it's because of all that negativity you all keep spewing. Next in line. Happy Holidays!?.

BD said...

@ Willy, Thanks for the note on squid in the bay. I'll figure them squid out sometime, guess I'll have to keep eyes and ears open.

And thank you to all the post positive comments. I'm not here to stir the pot just get some helpful hints, and pass any along if I can.

Wishing all of you the happiest of holidays.

BD