Wednesday, November 11, 2020

     So the crabbing is slow, but nobody is trying for halibut. Well, not nobody: "Scott and Sharon Heiser from Sheridan, Greg Murphy from Calistoga with a 16 lb halibut on a tube jig. First ever" Nice fish, and especially so when nobody else is catching. I said the crabbing is slow, but one boat I spoke with yesterday had caught 51 Dungeness inside the bay in two days. The crew said they worked their butts off for them (It sounds like they almost traded chicken for crab on a pound-for-pound basis) but a lot of guys worked pretty hard to get one or two in the bay, so my pity is small. You could easily find 100 crabbers that didn't have 51 Dungeness between them during that time span. But someone did. Outside of the bay a few guys did well but most did not. Had one report from today from a guy working Ten Mile for a grand total of four Dungeness and two reds. He tried a number of places. It sounds kinda sucky for crabbing. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow but I'm not a good crabber. I need a target-rich environment and it sounds like I'm not going to get it. Go rockcod!
 

1 comment:

rokefin said...

Could it be the last Hali of the year?