Wednesday, April 8, 2020

    I was sent this picture this morning just before Gage ran out of the house with his perch rod. I don't know if this is from today and if it is, I don't know how he got to the beach. We literally have locals walking the streets looking for "strange" cars in front of houses and peering into windows looking for out-of-towners. If you decide to come you might consider affixing a yellow star on your sleeve. Probably don't come. It is too difficult to maintain social distancing with people in your face, yelling. Besides, there's pretty much no parking in Dillon Beach. Both parking lots are padlocked. EDIT: Just found out that this fellow ended up with a parking ticket, making for some very expensive perch.
   With business being on the very light side, the boys and I went rockfishing on Monday. It was sloppy and cold and the fish didn't bite very well. It was also awesome just be out on the water. I know, we're bad people, but I didn't travel to fish and I was with people from within my household. We fished off of Bird Rock, about four miles from my house and about 15 miles closer than I get my groceries. I'd show you pictures but the fish were so small it was embarrassing. They tasted fantastic, though. Like free-range veal. There were boats from Bodega Bay and Tomales Bay fishing around us but proper distancing was maintained at all times. The water warmed up to 50º and was clear. No whales, birds or bait out to 200 feet. Last week's wind did a nice job of chasing away any salmon sign.
    Tomorrow the Fish and Game Commission will decide whether to close some or all areas and/or fisheries in order to limit the spread of fishermen across the state. Fishermen, like rats, ticks, mosquitoes and children, are known disease vectors, and limiting their movement around the state is hoped to limit the spread of Covid-19. I'm not a fan of a complete closure for obvious reasons, but at least they aren't considering eliminating fishermen permanently.

17 comments:

Wrybread said...

Reposting meeting deets for tomorrow in case anyone missed it in the last thread.

It's tomorrow (Thursday) at 8:30am, and is a "webinar" so conceivably we can join remotely. There's a link at the top of this page:

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=177990&inline

Any thoughts on what we can do to prevent them from formally closing / suspending the fishing season?

Willy said...

Emails or phone calls urging them to take the middle ground. They pretty well locked down the coast. If they feel they need to stop people from going to the eastern Sierras then don't open trout there. Case by case. Not baby with bathwater.

BIG"D" said...

The Big 50.

Sucka-Fish said...

I think my biggest concern is if they close all fishing it will take them half a year to a year to open it again.

Wrybread said...

Oh man this "webinar" is going to be hilarious. Meeting hasn't started yet and there's almost 300 people in the chat, and not all of them know how to mute their microphones... Have already heard a few people yelling at their lucky quarantine mates.

Was easy to join on a laptop, just follow this link and bend over and install whatever they tell you to:

https://cawildlife.webex.com/cawildlife/j.php?MTID=m6435b7aec2cf1a5f67dd5f4cd6f4a18c

On A String said...

Just tried to log on. Got "The meeting is full. No more people can join the meeting." Not happy.

Wrybread said...

That's weird, I can hear people joining constantly still. Maybe they're in a queue. Up to 650 participants now, must be 3 joining a second. Some of whom are loudly asking how to mute their phones... This is going to be hilarious if not productive.

Wrybread said...

Yeah, looks like they capped it at 662, no more people joining.

So far the best thing to happen has been people flushing their toilets.

On A String said...

What a s show.

On A String said...

Meeting cancelled till a later date. Super frustrating. People wouldn't stop talking, the council couldn't get on the line because there were too many participants, idiots talking racist. Total failure. They eluded to trying some type of other platform for the meeting next time. Fishing is still open for now I guess.

SPACE INVADER said...

We won! For now!!!

Wrybread said...

Well ha that was ridiculous. Apparently the software they were using didn't have a "mute everyone else" feature, so it was 663 fishermen trying to figure out how to mute themselves or yell "fascists!" every time there was a pause. Was getting pretty funny there at the end, I wish they'd have just left us all in the chatroom all day. Reminded me of CB radio in a truckstop.

Prob didn't help that everyone has been cooped up for weeks. I wish they'd have just left everyone in the room, it was getting fun for a minute there.

SB said...

It's coming Willy, getting rid of all fishermen.

Wrybread said...

Over my cold, dead $4.25!

Willy said...

Just think about how much safer the world will be.

JRS said...

I’m going to have to discuss this issue with the local Lings...

Raider2484 said...

I like JRS's idea. Went to the local Lowes a few days ago. I have a better chance on catching this virus there than I do in my own boat with someone I know. Immediate family or not.