Wednesday, March 13, 2024

    So, I guess that while I'm whining about salmon it would only be appropriate to whine about rockfish season. Or not. Or, maybe. How about, it depends on what you want? Here's the PFMC regs, which will soon become ours, after CDFW adopts them:

    April 1:-30 >50fms    This means the season is open deeper than the 50 fathom line as defined by a set of waypoints in the Federal Register

    May 1 -September 30 <20 fms This means the season is open shallower than the 20 fathom line as defined by a set of waypoints. Check with CDFW.

    October 1-31 >fms We discussed this.

    November 1-30 <20 fms Also discussed.

    December 1-31 >50 fms Just deep. If you can get there.

    So, these aren't official until the CDFW or CFGC make it so, but when they do, cool. Maybe don't go fishing on April 1 if the state regulations haven't changed yet. Chances ain't good for an offshore trip at any time in April, but who knows? I am old enough to remember some nice days in April before. Not a lot, but it can happen. If you have a deep water boat, be ready. Have deep water buddies ready, too. Those deep water fish taste better when they're shared.  And fried. Man, when they're still twitching when they go in the oil? I almost don't care about salmon. Almost. But the season should actually last for the whole season this year, as opposed to what happened last year. Avoid Quillback, however one does that. I think we have landed about two in the last 30 years, and I am probably exaggerating our catch (I'm a fisherman). So I really don't know how to catch less, I just do it. If I figure it out, I'll let you know. BUT, if you want to fish for rockfish you will have to have a descending device. The type is not specified, so anything descender goes, but if you're going deep you should probably have a SeaQualizer to attach to your downrigger. They work great. If you're in shallow water a Shelton's will work. Technically, a Sheltons Fish Descender qualifies you legally to fish any depth, and we will be selling the Shelton's, but if you are planning on going deep (during the short time you can, but damn, it is so good) get the SeaQualizer. I got one last year and used it each trip. It may not keep the fish from dying from barotrauma but it will keep you from getting a ticket and let the fish die where you won't see it. If you don't see it, it didn't happen, right? Right. Let the good times roll. And the fryer. 

   Also, almost forgot, everything I learned about these seasons I read about on Coastside Fishing Club. It costs a bit, I think $20 a year. $40? I'm not sure, and I don't care. Worth it. You're basically paying for server time and getting representation in committees as well. Plus they know things. I would not have landed a bluefin if I hadn't been reading their info. 

1 comment:

Harvest Time said...

With May 1 -September 30 <20 fms, who is gonna keep an eye out for the bluefin!?

(Whining is contagious.)