Sunday, August 13, 2023

    Priscilla Castillo-Amador caught this 15 pound halibut on an anchovy today. It was the largest fish that we had weighed in at that point in the day. Ultimately, it wasn't the largest of the day, but it was a darn nice fish and I think, perhaps Pricilla's first halibut. Probably not her last one, though. I got the feeling from her that halibut should be nervous.
    "Curly" DiBella caught these halibut today weighing 29.5 pounds and 24.5 pounds. Now, I'd probably have given Pricilla the extra half-pound, but Curly catches a lot of big fish, so no such courtesy for him. These fish came from just over the bar on live jacksmelt after Curly and his Captain limited on rockfish and large lingcod. 
   Don Hooks caught this 23 pounder today while fishing with Joe Winn and crew. Don gave me hope, as it now appears that you don't need a head full of dark hair to catch a nice halibut. Whew! There's still hope for me and others of my ilk. Don's fish (and all of the other fish on the boat) bit live jacksmelt, but not for a lack of jigging. It just wasn't a jigging day.
     Spinner caught this 26 pound halibut on the bar this morning. This fish also ate a live jacksmelt. Spinner did find a halibut that wanted the Bigfoot jig today, but that halibut liked that darn jig so much that it left with it. Bummer for Spinner, but good for me, as I sell those jigs. Spinner and Mike Mack had, I believe three halibut from the bar in the AM, then tried a few places outside for a few rockfish but no more halibut. I think that they proved their point, though. 
     The Marstons in the Reel Therapy have been working pretty hard but not getting the fish they deserved. Today they caught. I received this photo from Cameron but no further details, so no weights for these fish, but I think that they were caught across the bay from the Boathouse. Considering the fact that most of the fish were caught on live jacksmelt, I'd guess that these were no different. Nice work, Marstons.

   

No comments: