Sunday, April 23, 2023

   I forgot something from the last post. It was my intent to tell you all that, when my cousin, the commercial fisherman, pulled his last pots (as required; whales) he found a few meager clumps of squid eggs attached. This has been whirling around my head (except for when I write this, apparently) and I'll try to sum up the reasons why here. For one, when I was able once (back in 2015) to target white seabass the fish (when I rarely caught them) were on squid spawns. Another interesting note is that it is, according to what I recall from my research, too cold for squid to spawn (has anybody told the squid? No? Put on a white lab coat and tell them to stop!), so it shouldn't be true. Chris (my cousin) didn't say exactly where the alleged mollusk diddling was occurring, but I think it was off of Ten Mile. Depth? Dunno. The water temperature right now would seem to indicate that seabass catching is off the agenda, but maybe the fish don't know that. They probably don't read this report. They've been catching them out of Oxnard in 52º to 53º F water. That's like here in the early summer. Don't let scientific facts be your guide; results should be your indicator. I'm thinking that a few hours spent drifting with dead squid off of the Keyholes or Abbott's will probably net you zero fish. But maybe, when the water warms a bit (to when it's only cold, not just frigid) you might catch a fish of a lifetime. You probably won't. But it's not like you're missing out on a limit of salmon, either. So, what's the harm in trying?

1 comment:

Harvest Time said...

Squid news is good news.