Monday, May 17, 2021


    Gage got this report from a launch yesterday: "Nate Sam and Wes from Sac got these nice lings and a few undersize down near Pt Reyes. Lost a few too. Not many rockcod. On jigs." You can translate "not many" to "one". The rockfishing to the South has been tough. I don't want to rub salt in my own wounds, but no fish at 4 by 3 felt like the ocean was dead. Well, just dead to me, I guess. Luckily for these fellows and me, lingcod kinda don't care. Bite, no bite, they're probably gonna bite sooner or later. These are fish that try to eat fish larger than they are. Hunger is not a consideration in their eating. I guess lings are bored a lot. Thank goodness, because I like catching them and eating them. 

   No good crab stories, except for some folks that were crabbing yesterday and lost  two traps. What's good about that? This morning they looked for their traps with binoculars and found them. A quick launch and recovery and the "trap thieves" were denied. The worst "trap thief" is the bay and her currents and on this one she was denied. Not too many Dungeness for these folks. Today's crabbers ended up with six keeper Dungeness and some reds that were so big they looked like they might eat the keeper Dungeness. Yes, Dungies are better, but a mouthful of red crab claw is pretty damn good.

No comments: