Monday, June 1, 2020


Now I don't want to startle anyone, but I caught this striper in the surf. It was a keeper but not by much so I let him go. It's been two years since I last caught one on the beach, so when kit bit I almost didn't remember what to do Almost. For the record, a three ounce Hopkins No Equal Spoon will cast a long way and catches fish, too. Gage and I also fished some live bait by Hog Island for one keeper halibut this afternoon. It should be good and tender after the chewing it got from a friendly harbor seal. We had a hard time making bait for halibut, as the jacksmelt didn't want to play today. We caught four in 40 minutes. The one that caught was a bit over three inches long. Small bait, small fish, they say. Gage also brought some grass shrimp he caught earlier and tried fishing a blob of them for halibut halibut and striper. We still don't know if grass shrimp catches those, but leopard sharks seem to love them. A lot. 
    I received a note from Brad Stompe about Sunday fishing: "Willy,

 

Lots of fish food off Bodega Head to 10 Mile Beach out to 300’ but little sign of salmon.  Water temp was a pleasant 57 degrees which should get the plankton growing and help brown up the clear green water out there.  Four hours of salmon trolling never produced a bump.  Being the first time out in quite awhile I really wanted to come home with dinner so switched to rockfish.  My usual spots near Elephant were only producing small fish so it took some searching to find a honey hole, but I did and came back with a limit.  Back at Bodega I asked around about salmon and it was skunks all around."  Well, as I like to say when I strike out on salmon and bring home rockfish instead, "Fresh rockcod is better than salmon any day." Sometimes I think it's actually true. Way to save the day, and may you be sick of eating fresh salmon by the season's end.

7 comments:

BrownRedneck6 said...

Good work mr. Willy, also on the ticketed launch spot discussed prior, vehicles without trailor recieved a reversal as in if you didnt have a trialor it was a "mistake" but guys with trailors,"me" still got that 200$ ticket for truck and trailor...damn hilary supporters

Willy said...

Damn...

Harvest Time said...

Damn revenuers

Tailout said...

Where are they writing tickets? Is Miller ramp open now?

Swampy said...

Sad watching the pier getting dismantled. Lots of good times with my boys when they were younger. Any idea of if/when a replacement will be put in?

Swampy

Tomales Outlaw said...

Miller ramp is open.

Outlaw

Willy said...

No idea, except that this year ain't making it happen any sooner.