Monday, June 8, 2020


     Mike Martin sent me picture to give me hope. Strange that it made me feel bad. "Hey Willie just wanted to pass on this photo to give us folks up north some hope. This is from a friend this weekend" Part of me is excited that this kind of fish could be a possibility this year. Another part of me is thinking that my chances just dropped because now there's one less. Either way, good on this masked man. FYI, social distancing or no, if I catch a fish like this you will be seeing my face. Otherwise, how could you tell if I was leering?
     I received another note earlier in the week from Harvest Time :"Yesterday crabbing at Abbott's was kind of dismal we got a handful of small keeper Dungeness and some rock crab. Rockfish at 200' was easy limits and good grade. Lingcod were chomping we got 5 for 3 guys. Salmon were cold, so we trolled up a 12# hali near the harbor entrance and called it a day." I have heard of a few salmon caught North of Point Reyes this past week but not very many. Halibut has been better with live bait taking fish around Hog Island. There's even been a few stripers in the mix and even a rumored WSB. Miller Park boat launch is open so you will have company if you head out. 

4 comments:

HaliBury said...

Sea bass wasnt huge I got lucky .

rokefin said...

Love seeing those hogs caught!
I personally have not seen the 30-40 class since some commercial days back in the late 70’s. I would love to hook into a big boy and would not turn down anything but prefer my salmon edibles in a smaller class.

oldtimer said...

WoW! What a fine looking fish. Thanks for sharing photos of your catch! Like Willy said the fish will get bigger later in the season. And salmon put on lots of weight quickly. Thanks again; a very envious fisher. Stay Safe!

Capn Al said...

Any Mateys have any info on the salmon off Bodega and Abbott's Lagoon?